Sunday, May 2, 2010

WHIBSIB Binds Knitters, Spinners and Weavers Together!

This past weekend was the long-awaited Lone Star State Knitters annual retreat called WHIBSIB. It stands for "What Happens in Buda, Stays in Buda." I guess it doesn't really stay in Buda, because here I am blogging about it.

I was there as a day-timer Saturday from 10am until well after 6pm, but most of the gals drove from all over the State, arriving Friday evening and leaving sometime Sunday. We had a great meeting room at The Hampton Inn. Many of the ladies had their knitting and some even brought their spinning wheels and spindles. It was also a sort of trade show. We have lots of talented people in the group who makes things to sell and there was plenty to buy. I sold all my fiber batts in the first 30 minutes, along with some yarn and mug rugs sets.


This is Suzanne, who spins yarn the size of sewing thread. She's amazing! It was really a treat to watch the gals make something from my batts, especially the art batts which included lots of lumpy bumpy fibers.

Incidentally, see the great big pile of yarn on the chair in the far left back corner? That's yarn I traded Marsha for some of my hand-dyed sock yarn. I left with as much as I came with, just other people's stuff!


Here's Mary, who's spinning one of my art batts with a spindle. She also gave me lessons in plying on a spindle. It was a great learning experience, but I after all is said and done, I much prefer the wheel, mainly because I'm much better (and quicker) at it.

There's talk of next year having WHIBSIB in Dallas, well, actually Grapevine, the same weekend as the DFW Fiber Fest, killing two birds with one stone. :-) Look out Grapevine, here we come! Wonder if we'll change the name to WHIGSIG?

No comments:

Post a Comment